After reading the book "Enemy Pie", by Derek Munson, "How to Make An Apple PIe and See the World" by Marjorie Priceman, students will record the pie making sequencing process (additional sequencing books can be found at: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/sequencing. After students will pick something they like to do and write a sequencing essay.
Main Curriculum Tie:
English Language Arts Grade 3 Reading: Literature Standard 3
Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events.
- Enemy Pie, by Derek Munson.
- Pre-made graham cracker crusts. One per 8 students.
- 8 oz. package of vanilla instant pudding. One per 8 students.
- Mixing bowl
- Whip cream
- Miniature marshmallows
- Paper plates
- plastic forks
- A kind custodian
Background For Teachers:
The teacher should make sure all the supplies are available and a clean surface is prepared for making the pie. Cooking in class is a lot of extra work but is definitely worth the trouble. Make sure you know the rules in your school. Check to see if the Principal and Custodian will support this activity before you begin.
Student Prior Knowledge:
Students should know how to take turns, help otheres, and work quietly.
Read the book Enemy Pie to the whole class.
- Stop on page 6 at the third paragraph. Brainstorm as a class to predict what might be the ingredients for Enemy Pie.
- Continue reading the story.
- Have students return to their desks so that you can prepare the pie. You may want to ask students to come and assist in the different steps.
- Follow the directions on the package for the pudding.
- Put miniature marshmallows at the bottom of the pie pan and pour the pudding over the top.
- While the pie is chilling in the refrigerator, have students write a process paper describing how the pie was made.
- Write the ingredients on the board to help the students.
- Students need to write the process in detail.
- At the end of the activity each student can have a taste of the Enemy Pie.
Strategies For Diverse Learners:
Students of all learning abilities should enjoy this activity.
Students could write the recipe to take home and try with their families.
Read the recipes and process that the students wrote.
Text:Enemy Pie by Derek Munson,
How to Make an Apple Pie by Marjorie Priceman,
Web site of sequencing books:
Created Date :
Aug 02 2005 13:50 PM