1 class period that runs 45 minutes.
This lesson teaches students about handwashing and dishwashing using information sheets.
Main Curriculum Tie:
Food And Nutrition I
Standard 2 Objective 3
Identify and apply sanitation rules and guidelines.
- Class information sheets: one on handwashing, one on dishwashing
- Seven pairs of rubber gloves
1. (20 min.) To show the importance of handwashing, have all the students put Glo-germ on their hands, and shine a blacklight on them. They will see how the Glo-germ shows up under the blacklight. Then, have them wash their hands and look at them under the blacklight again.
2. (15 min.) Pass out information sheets and have the students complete them.
3. (10 min.) Rubber Glove Relay!!
Divide the class into 7 teams.
- Each kitchen is given a pair of rubber gloves.
- When one student is wearing the rubber gloves during the relay, the other students must stay seated at their table.
- There is absolutely no running!
- When the relay starts, the first person must put on the gloves and do the assigned task, then come back to the table sit down and pass the gloves to the next person.
- The next person puts on the rubber gloves, completes the assigned task; this is repeated until all the tasks are completed.
- To show they are done, the last person places the rubber gloves on the middle of the table and the team raises their hands.
The tasks are:
- Get out the dish drainer and soap.
- Fill the right sink with hot, soapy water.
- Fill the left sink with hot water.
- Wash the dishes located on the counter. Place them in the left sink.
- Rinse the dishes and place them in the drainer.
- Dry the dishes and put them away in the correct place.
The winning team is presented with a treat.
1. Adventures in Food and Nutrition by Carol Byrd-Bredbenner
2. The World of Food by Eva Medved
3. Sue Reber
Created Date :
May 05 2003 12:22 PM