9 class periods that run 45 minutes each.
The students will find, use, and analyze information from the library
media center and other locations about a local historical person, place,
Main Curriculum Tie:
Library Media - 5th Grade
Standard 1 Objective 2
Identify information needed.
Background For Teachers:
The following should be identified before beginning instruction:
- Skills needed by students.
- Amount and kind of resources needed.
- Expectation of classroom teacher regarding content and format of paper.
- Determination of responsibility for instruction and evaluation of all parts
of the unit.
- Whenever possible, students should use other core curriculum areas to add
to their report.
Choose a topic. Several internet sites are available with Utah History. Check
out some of the following resources:
- Gather Information from one of the Internet sites listed above.
- Evaluate information.
- Define unfamiliar words.
- Outline and write article.
- Utah State Historical Society
Located in Rio Grande Building in Salt Lake City.
- Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial Celebration Coordinating Council
Information about the 150 year anniversary of the pioneers entering Utah.
- Oregon-California Trail Association
Includes trail preservation, publications, monographs, books, local chapters, field trips, census,
graves, events, more.
- Color Country History
Historical information about southern Utah.
- Ancient Indian Archeological Sites
Anasazi Indian information.
- Mountain Men and the Fur Trade
Sources of the history of the Fur Trade in the Rocky Mountain West.
- Utah Historical Quarterlys Vol. 20 (1952), and Vol. 22
About Peter Skene Ogden. The first pertains to his expedition to Utah and
trouble at ''Deserter''s Point.'' The second deals with his Snake Country
Expedition. Download the files (ftp) to disk and browse them with a word
- This is the Place State Park
Max Bertola tells about the
monument, the buildings of ''Deseret Village,'' and some history.
- Mormon History Resource Page
Site includes links to 150 Years Ago Today, Pioneer Period, and Diaries, Journals, and Biographies.
- Utah Geography
Utah Travel page for historic adventure Museums, sites, buildings,
ghost towns, ancient Indian culture.
- Utah Travel and Adventure Online
Outdoor, family, scenic, historical, prehistorical, cultural, olympic adventures (places to
visit, things to see).
- Hole in the Rock
Also Highway 12, Burr Trail, Anasazi Village,
Kodachrome Basin, and more.
- Websters Dicitonary
This lesson can be a support for History and English
compositon classes. The outstanding Interent sites can bring a high
level of interest to the curriculum. Many stories can be used in
story telling, skits, plays, or documentaries.
Created Date :
Jan 30 1997 08:09 AM