1 class period that runs 45 minutes.
Students will explore the Therapeutic Services Career Pathway using articles in the Health Careers Planner (HCP).
Main Curriculum Tie:
Career and Technical Education Introduction
Standard 2 Objective 1
Students will explore education and training in the High School to College and Career Pathways.
- Classroom set of American Careers--Health Careers Planner (HCP)
- Attached worksheet "Exploring Therapeutic Careers"
- Optional: Copies of "Working with Words" from page 15 in the HCP
- The American Careers - Health Careers Planner can be purchased at Career Communications, Inc. 6701 West 64th Street Overland Park, KS 66202 (913) 362-7788 http://www.carcom.com
Background For Teachers:
Since you only have a classroom set of the HCP's, you may want to run copies of the crossword puzzle so they can be consumed by the students. Also the answers wouldn't be so readily available to the students as they are in the HCP.
There is an American Careers-HCP Teaching Guide, but it is better suited for the high school level not 7-8th grade level. There are two good surveys included that could be revised and used if wanted: “General Attitude Survey” and “Performance Assessments”. Also the glossary could be of use for you and/or your students.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
Students will review various careers included in the Therapeutic Services Pathway.
- Read pages 8-16 in the HCP
- Complete the attached worksheet "Exploring Therapeutic Careers" using the articles on pages 8-16 of the HCP, articles include: "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon", "Pediatric Nurse","Athletic Trainer" and "Respiratory Therapist."
- Optional: Complete the activity titled "Working with Words", copied from page 15 of the HCP. Answers to the "Working with Words" activity are located on page 16 of the HCP
Created Date :
Sep 01 2004 19:20 PM