- Thinking & Reasoning
7 class periods that run 45 minutes each.
Students will explore the concepts of marketing (product, promotion, price, place) through the process of promoting themselves as child care providers.
Background For Teachers:
This lesson is designed to demonstrate how a person might market a service, i.e. child care. Use the instruction and resources for creating the actual puppet from the lesson plan "Puppet Factory.
- PRODUCT: (1 day)
Students need to market their services as a child care provider. In order to do market research (determining how to sell themselves), the students will need to interview potential customer to find out what they desire in a "babysitter." They could ask certain questions like:
- What qualities do you look for in a good babysitter?
- What would you like your babysitter to do for your children?
- Where would you like the service to take place (i.e. your home, care giver's home, park, school, etc)
- What would you not like your babysitter do while they are in your home?
- How much do you feel is a reasonable pay for a child care giver?
- How would you feel about your babysitter bringing puppets for your children to play with and what kind of puppet would they like? ETC.
- PROMOTION: (1day) Discuss with the students how they should "promote" themselves by discussing the following issues:
Have student develop a promotional item (i.e. busines card, flyer, sales pitch, etc.) to "sell" their service, utilizing information from their survey and from past customer references.
- What qualities did your customers look for in a good care giver?
- What skills do you need to develop to be a better care giver?
- What personal traits should you display while babysitting so your reputation will spread to other potential customers?
- What things could you say to your "customers" to market yourself?
- PRICE: (4 days) Have student create puppets (use information from lesson "Puppet Factory") to use when giving child care. Determine what it cost to create the puppet, including time and labor and materials, and how much babysitting it would take to cover the expenses or what they would charge to provide their service of babysitting. (you made want to create a worksheet for students for determine this information)
- PLACE: (1 day) Discuss with the students how they should dress, what they should say, how they should conduct themselves, etc. to best "display" themselves and their service. Talk about appropriateness of these qualities and how to change their approach. Also, a determination should be made about the best place to offer the service by using the survey question in activity #1 .(i.e. customer's home, care provider's home, park, etc) Refer to "TLC Marketing Definitions" (under teacher background) for ideas of how students can role play "selling" themselves.
Created Date :
May 13 2004 10:12 AM