1 class periods of 70 minutes each
Students will explore the current Dietary Guidelines and healthy eating patterns as they relate to MyPlate. There is a PowerPoint and note guide to accompany this lesson. The note guide also has a mini dietary analysis activity. A calorie burn-off activity will also accompany the lesson.
Dietary Guidelines and Healthy Eating Patterns Lesson Plan
Dietary Guidelines and Healthy Eating Patterns PowerPoint
Dietary Guidelines and Healthy Eating Patterns Note Guide
Dietary Guidelines and Healthy Eating Patterns Note Guide KEY
Calorie Burn-Off ActivityComputer Lab Access
Background for Teachers
Become familiar with the current Dietary Guidelines and healthy eating patterns as they relate to MyPlate. Review the PowerPoint and the teacher notes for each slide of the PowerPoint.
Student Prior Knowledge
Basic knowledge of MyPlate.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will demonstrate knowledge of the current Dietary Guidelines and healthy eating patterns.
- Introduction: (10 Minutes)
- Explain to students the outline for the day. Ask them if they have any questions. Give students a Dum Dum Pop.
- Basics of Nutrition Introduction: (20 Minutes)
- Students will watch the power point on Basics of Nutrition Introduction. Students will take notes in their packet. Discuss the importance of knowing how what you put into your body will impact health.
- Body Statistics & Review Computer Lab Rules/Guidelines: (10 Minutes)
- Students will weigh themselves and measure their height. They will write their information down in their notes. Discuss computer lab expectations and review lab directions. Explain the directions for our time in the computer lab. Explain and review what students will be doing in their notes. The website students will go to is: www.choosemyplate.gov. Directions are written in their notes.
- Computer Lab: (20 Minutes)
- Turn class time over to students to work in the computer lab. Walk around to answer questions and keep an eye on lab behavior. Check the student clean up of the lab and make sure everything has been properly completed.
- Calorie Burn-Off Activity: (5 Minutes)
- If students ate the Dum Dum given to them at the beginning of class, have them walk the calories off by walking around the room.
- Conclusion: (5 Minutes)
- Make sure students have written their names at the top of their notes.