1 class periods of 70 minutes each
Students will explore MyPlate. There is a PowerPoint and a note guide to accompany this lesson. There is an application activity, (with an interactive whiteboard option). A couple of mini-lab recipes, (a lab that will only take half a class period), will be provided to help teach the concepts of the lesson.
MyPlate Lesson Plan
MyPlate Note Guide
MyPlate Note Guide KEY
MyPlate Application Activity PowerPoint
MyPlate Application Activity for Interactive White Boards
MyPlate Application Activity Worksheet
Recipe: Chicken Bow-Tie Salad
Recipe: MyPlate Breakfast
Background for Teachers
Become familiar with MyPlate. Review the PowerPoint and the teacher notes for each slide of the PowerPoint. If an interactive white board is available, practice navigating the flipchart.
Student Prior Knowledge
Basic knowledge of the current Dietary Guidelines.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will demonstrate knowledge of MyPlate.
- Introduction: (5 Minutes)
- Explain to students the outline for the day. Ask them if they have any questions.
- Prepare Mini Lab- Chicken Bow-Tie Salad (or MyPlate Breakfast): (15 Minutes)
- Turn 20 minutes of class time over to practice working in the lab. Review basic lab duties and give lab directions. Remind students they need be back in their seats, with their food on the tasters table, in 15 minutes. The pasta will take a little longer to cook so they will need to have one person from their group checking on it as we take notes. Their kitchens should be mostly clean. They will have the last few minutes of class to do any final dishes.
- MyPlate Power Point: (15 Minutes)
- Show the power point that covers MyPlate. Discuss the importance of knowing what safe cooking practices are when it comes to working in the kitchen. Discuss the importance of knowing the concepts of MyPlate and how living their concepts can lead to a healthier life.
- Eat Mini Lab- Chicken Bow-Tie Salad (or MyPlate Breakfast): (5 Minutes)
- Give students a few minutes to finish preparing their food and to dish up their food. They need to be back to their seats quickly with their food. If they want a drink, encourage them to get it at this time.
- MyPlate Application: (20 Minutes)
- Open up the interactive white board activity "MyPlate Application". Walk student through the demo. Then pass out the worksheet (one for each table) for students to assess the meals. They need to do ALL three examples. Give them about 7-8 minutes to work through the meals. Have one group come up to the board and share their thoughts on the white board. Discuss and assess their thoughts as a class.
- Final Clean Up of Mini Lab- Chicken Bow-Tie Salad (or MyPlate Breakfast): (10 Minutes)
- Turn the rest of class over to students to do any final cleaning. Remind students they need to have their lab clean before they will be excused.
- Conclusion: (5 Minutes)
- Check each lab unit for cleanliness and encourage students to put their name on their notes.