1 class periods of 70 minutes each
Students will explore the current Dietary Guidelines. There is a PowerPoint and a note guide to accompany this lesson. A mini-lab recipe, (a lab that will only take half a class period), will be provided to help teach the concepts of the lesson.
Dietary Guidelines Lesson Plan
Dietary Guidelines PowerPoint
Dietary Guidelines Note Guide
Dietary Guidelines Note Guide KEY
Recipe: Hawaiian Haystacks
Background for Teachers
Become familiar with the current Dietary Guidelines. Review the PowerPoint and the teacher notes for each slide of the PowerPoint.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to identify the six current Dietary Guidelines and the key recommendation for each.
- Introduction: (5 Minutes)
- Explain to students the outline for the day. Ask them if they have any questions.
- Mini Lab- Hawaiian Haystacks: (40 Minutes)
- Turn 40 minutes of class time over to practice working in the lab. Review basic lab duties and give lab directions. Remind students they need be back in their seats, with their food, in 40 minutes. Their kitchens should be mostly clean. They will have the last few minutes of class to do any final dishes.
- Dietary Guidelines Power Point: (15 Minutes)
- Have students look at the page in their notes that says "Dietary Guidelines" at the top. Show the power point that covers the dietary guidelines. Discuss the importance of knowing what the Dietary Guidelines are and how living their concepts can lead to a healthier life.
- Mini Lab- Hawaiian Haystacks Clean Up: (5 Minutes)
- Turn the rest of class over to students to do any final cleaning. Remind students they need to have their lab clean before they will be excused.
- Conclusion: (5 Minutes)
- Check each lab unit for cleanliness.