Strand 4 Standard 2
1 class periods of 90 minutes each
This lesson will discuss information about reasons babies cry and ways to cope with the crying. It will also provided information about Shaken Baby Syndrome.
LCD Machine and Computer, Computerized baby, rag doll (Cabbage Patch dolls work well) or model that shows how the brain will move when shaken (Child Birth Graphics)
Collect current information and news articles on Shaken Baby Syndrome.
The student will have knowledge on ways to handle a crying baby and understand how to prevent Shaken Baby Syndrome.
* Program a computerized baby or the "abused" baby to create a constant cry.
* Have students share experiences when they have been around a baby who is constantly crying.
* Use the POWER POINT - or lead a DISCUSSION using the information on types of cry's, basic needs, checking for illness and colic.
* BRAINSTORM ways to sooth a crying baby and ways for the parents to cope.
* Define SHAKEN BABY SYNDROME
* Have students take the 6 question QUIZ.
* Show GRAPHICS of head proportion and information about what happens to a baby's head when shaken.
* Go over SIGNS , SYMPTOMS and the STATISTICS for SBS in Utah (get current ones from the County Health Department)
* Discuss any SBS case in the NEWS - past or present.
Guest Speaker on Shaken Baby Syndome
At end of class ask students, to write down 10 facts they learned about Coping with a Crying Baby (5 ways to handle) and Shaken Baby Syndrome (5 facts).
USOE Child Development Curriculum, 1994
Davis County Health Department