Climate Science Careers
Moving to a greener mindset means that existing jobs are changing, new jobs are being invented, and students can look to a bright future of new opportunities. Now is the time to prepare students. Encourage them to take more science, math, and writing classes that will prepare them for these rewarding jobs.
Agriculture and Forestry Jobs
This sector covers activities related to using natural pesticides, efficient land management or farming, and aquaculture.
- General and Operational Managers for green products and services
- Landscape Architects
- Precision Agriculture Technicians
Energy and Carbon Capture and Storage Jobs
This sector covers activities related to capturing and storing energy and/or carbon emissions.
Energy Efficiency Jobs
This sector covers activities related to increasing energy efficiency, making energy demand response more effective, constructing “smart grids,” and other energy efficient activities.
- Energy Auditors
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Weatherization Installers and Technicians
Energy Trading Jobs
This sector covers financial services related to buying and selling energy as an economic commodity, as well as carbon trading projects.
Environmental Protection Jobs
This sector covers activities related to environmental remediation, climate change adaptation, and ensuring or enhancing air quality.
Governmental and Regulatory Administration Jobs
This sector covers activities by public and private organizations associated with conservation and pollution prevention, regulation enforcement, and policy analysis and advocacy.
Green Construction Jobs
This sector covers activities related to constructing new green buildings, retrofitting residential and commercial buildings, and installing other green construction technology.
- Civil Engineers
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
Green Manufacturing Jobs
This sector covers activities related to industrial manufacturing of green technology as well as energy efficient manufacturing processes.
Recycling and Waste Reduction Jobs
This sector covers activities related to solid waste and wastewater management, treatment, and reduction as well as processing recyclable materials.
Renewable Energy Generation Jobs
This sector covers activities related to developing and using energy sources such as solar, wind, geothermal, and biomass. This sector also includes traditional, non-renewable sources of energy undergoing significant green technological changes (e.g., oil, coal, gas, and nuclear).
- Biofuels Processing Technicians
- Solar Photovoltaic Installers
- Wind Turbine Service Technicians
Research, Design, and Consulting Services Jobs
This sector encompasses “indirect jobs” to the green economy, which includes activities such as energy consulting or research and other related business services.
This sector covers activities related to increasing efficiency and/or reducing environmental impact of various modes of transportation including trucking, mass transit, and freight rail.
Source: O*NET Center is the U.S. primary source of occupational information. The O*NET OnLine application for exploring occupations is developed under the sponsorship of the US Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration.
Colleges and Universities are constantly updating their programs of study to prepare learners for the future. If you’re looking for a green oriented career program, here are a few ideas. Be sure to visit each campuses web site to learn more.
- Wildlife Science at USU Eastern
- Applied Environmental Geoscience at USU Eastern
- Biology Secondary Education with Integrated Science at Dixie State University
- Technical Writing at Dixie State University
- Geosciences at Salt Lake Community College
- Energy Management at Salt Lake Community College
- Machine Tool Technology at Snow College
- Business and Applied Technology at Snow College
- Agriculture Science and Industries at Southern Utah University
- Engineering, Technology, and Construction Management at Southern Utah University
- Environmental Studies at the University of Utah
- Atmospheric Science / Meteorology at the University of Utah
- Horticulture at Utah State University
- Applied Environmental Geosciences at Utah State University
- Construction Technology at Utah Valley University
- Electrical Automation and Robotic Technology at Utah Valley University
- Automotive Technology at Weber State University
- Geosciences at Weber State University