eMedia's Open Author Tool
Great news! UEN is updating how we support hosting and sharing lesson plans. The new method uses Open Author on eMedia to provide better flexibility and features such as comments, core alignments and more.
As we say hello to a fresh new way to manage lesson plans online, be sure to download any lesson plans and attachments you wish to keep ASAP. See below for instructions.
To begin creating lesson plans, use the button below, login using your my.uen credentials. Once you have logged into eMedia, use the Create button at the top and then choose Open Author.
If you would like to share your existing lessons in eMedia or even create new ones here are some helpful resources.
Creating eMedia Resources with Open Author
Using the UEN Lesson Plan Template
If you have ever created a lesson plan at UEN it still exists and you can save a copy in PDF form.
- Login to the Lesson Plan Tool at https://www.uen.org/lessonplan/login
- Click the "Print Icon"
- Now you are viewing a Preview of the lesson, select the "Printable Version" link in the upper right.
- A pdf version now opens in the browser. Select the "Download" button to save to your computer.
- If you have favorite lesson plans from other teachers you can save pdf copies by going to the published version and following steps 3 and 4.
If you would like to share a lesson plan you have created, you can do so using the Open Author tool.
Transferring a Lesson Plan from the UEN Lesson Plan tool
If you have an existing lesson plan in the UEN lesson plan tool go here to access it: https://www.uen.org/lessonplan/login. You can copy and paste directly from your lesson plan using the steps below or save as a pdf and copy and paste from the pdf.
- Sign in to eMedia using your my.uen credentials at https://emedia.uen.org/ . (Need help logging in? Visit https://www.uen.org/emedia/ for additional instructions.)
- Click the "Create" button at the top of the page. Then click “Create Resource” under the Open Author option.
- Now you are viewing the Open Author editor.
- Enter a title for your resource.
- Upload an openly licensed preview image that represents your lesson plan if you would like to.
- Add a subheading in the “Section Name” box.
- Add the content of your lesson plan using the rich content editor.
- You can copy and paste content. Be sure to fix any formatting issues and broken links.
- You can manually add content by typing, adding images, adding hyperlinks, etc.
- If your lesson plan was created in a Google Doc, you can click the “Import from Google Drive” button to add your content.
- Upload files, add instructor notes, and add additional sections to your lesson plan if you would like to.
- Click the green “Next” button in the upper righthand corner of the page.
- Now you are viewing the metadata page in Open Author.
- Add an overview describing your lesson plan.
- Select a Creative Commons license for your lesson plan.
- Select the appropriate metadata/labels for your lesson plan, including the Utah standards it aligns with.
- Acknowledge that you must have permission to share all resources included in your lesson plan by clicking the checkbox. Then, click the green “Publish” button. Your lesson plan will be reviewed by an eMedia librarian and will then be published in the eMedia database.
Let us know if you have any questions or comments.