Students will use Greek root words, suffixes and prefixes, to 'create' polysyllable words.
- Blank paper
- List of Greek Root Words (See attachments)
- Chart of prefixes and suffixes with meanings (See attachments)
- Word Context Chart (See attachments)
Background for Teachers
Understand prefixes, suffixes and roots. Pace the lesson for two days.
Student Prior Knowledge
- How to use a dictionary.
- What the words prefix, suffix, and root or base word mean.
- What a syllable is.
- Provide for each student a dictionary, list of affixes, and list of Greek root words.
- Instruct students to combine roots and affixes to 'create' words.
- Students then check each word using a dictionary and verify each word's validity, meaning, and spelling.
- Enter each valid word on a word context chart.
- Students can finally enter each valid word in their journal or personal dictionary.
- Make flash cards for prefixes, suffixes, and roots.
- Use Latin root words. (See attachments)
Use words for a spelling test.