1 class periods of 45 minutes each
Students will learn about the of indigenous people of America.
- Students will describe and compare the early indigenous people of the Americas.
- Students will describe traditional practices that do or do not persist in modern times.
- We Shall Remain
KUED's We Shall Remain videos that focus on the major Utah tribes.
Background for Teachers
Preview RezBiz magazine to choose appropriate pages for your presentation.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to answer the following questions:
- What are some differences and similarities of the major groups of indigenous people in America?
- How has the Navajo culture changed with the arrival of people from Europe?
- How do Navajos maintain cultural traditions today?
- View the "We Shall Remain" videos.
- Have students list 10 things they notice about traditional Native American life that differ from their own lives now.
- As an option to the video, show the above photos, preferably with other pictures showing different tribes.
- Ask students to put a check by every practice that they believe was common among all American tribal groups.
- Discuss their lists. Ask them to cross out practices that they believe have changed or disappeared in modern times.
- Show pages from a current magazine, such as the RezBiz magazine for southwest Native American businesses. Ask any students who know Native Americans personally if they notice any remaining practices from the past. Ask students to circle every practice from the list that they believe has survived.
Strategies for Diverse Learners
Any students having difficulty should work with a partner.