1 class periods of 45 minutes each
Students in small groups or individually will try to divide 3 different types of chocolate kisses into the smallest pieces.
- Three types of candy kisses, plain, almond, hugs.
- Plastic knives, paper towels
- Their own paper, one per group.
Student Prior Knowledge
- In groups of 2-4, hand out one type of kiss, paper towel, and a plastic knife. The students are to cut the kiss into the smallest piece possible.
- Ask these questions as they finish.
- Can you divide it forever?
- If you kept dividing this what would the pieces be like? Sketch it.
- This will take them about 10 minutes. Then discuss what happened and why not everyone's answer was the same.
Full credit for names of all group members, both questions answered and a drawing.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.