UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
FACS 6th Grade
Strand 3 Standard 1
1 class periods of 45 minutes each
This lesson covers the family unit section using PowerPoint presentations, worksheets, group activities, and by creating a limerick.
1. Pictures of families (Or the PowerPoint presentation)
2. Family unit packet
3. Red and green light transparencies
4. Plastic cups (6 in each set)
5. Rubber bands with 5 or 6 pieces of yarn tied to each rubber band. (one for each set)
1. 5 min.--Show pictures of families to the students. Show them one at a time. In the packet have the students write whatever comes to their minds about the pictures.
2. 5 min.--Divide the class into families. They will stay in these families for the rest of this unit. Have each family create a family name.
3. 5 min.--Discuss different types of families. Have the students think of as many different kinds of families as they can and then write down the definitions in their packets.
4. 5 min.--Emphasize the importance of using good communication. Show the red light and green light overheads. Have the students write down the definitions in their packets.
5. 10 min.--Each family is given 6 plastic cups that are stacked. Each cup is labeled:
Questions to ask:
After the game help the students understand how interconnected families are.
6. 5 min.--Traditions. Have the students create a limerick about one of their family traditions. Instructions are in the packet.