1 class periods of 60 minutes each
Students will learn the vocabulary words associated with tobacco and the negative effects tobacco has on the human body.
Background for Teachers
Review over texbook and know how to create and use powerpoints.
Student Prior Knowledge
Be aware of tobacco and cigarettes and know how to use powerpoints.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Name 3 harmful substances in tobacco smoke.
- Identify parts of the body that are affected by tobacco use.
- Describe the effects of tobacco use on parts of the body.
- Discuss the various substances in tobacco.
- Have the students look at the tobacco products on pg. 262.
- Students will open Monday's Tobacco Powerpoint and procede through the slides, as follows: Learn 'Why NOT to use Tobacco', which will list several examples of what may happen to a person's body while using tobacco(longterm and shortterm effects). Complete 'Check Your Facts' which answers questions related to lesson 1/2 of chapter 7. Lastly, use math skills to calculate how much money a person will spend on cigarettes and write down what they would rather buy using that money. Then, watch a 20 minute video 'Our Smoking Video' about 2 kids who are caught smoking and as a punishment have to create a video on smoking, which points out the risks of smoking and addiction to nicotine.
Students knowledge will be assessed by grading their 'Check Your Facts' classwork.
Textbook- Your Health Grade 6th, by Harcourt Brace