1 class periods of 30 minutes each
- Thinking & Reasoning
Students will practice throwing and catching skills while working together as a team.
Yarnballs, beanbags or easily caught objects. One ball per three students works best. Markers, chips or coins to mark your court. Pinnies or jerseys to differentiate teams.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will exhibit honesty and ability to work as a team in an engaging activity.
- Divide the class into two teams on two sides of a gym floor.
- Teams begin with 20-30 chips/markers in a bucket behind their end-line.
- Students fan out all over the entire court and try to catch a ball from their teammate in their end zone on the opposite side of the court.
- Students may not toss any object from beyond the half-court line.
- Student successfully catching a ball retrieves a marker from the opponents' bucket and adds it to their own bucket on the opposite end-line.
- Students on the other team may guard, block or intercept any throw made from the opposing team, however, they may not enter the opposing teams' end zone.
- If your team successfully intercepts a throw from the other team (catches on the fly) retrieve a marker from the end zone of the opposing teams' bucket.
- Play continues until a bucket is emptied or until you simply want a break in the action.
Strategies for Diverse Learners
Move the end-line closer or farther apart. Use various types of throws, such as, underhand, overhand, lob or opposite handed.