5 class periods of 45 minutes each
Investigate and identify the Renaissance 'Movers and Shakers' and their contributions.
Background for Teachers
- Instructor led discussion about the Renaissance as a rebirth of cultural and intellectual pursuits
- Knowledge of the Renaissance 'Movers & Shakers' and their accomplishments.
Student Prior Knowledge
Students will complete 'Renaissance movers and shakers name association pre-assessment (see attachments).
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Students will identify the 'movers & shakers' of the Renaissance and their contributions.
- Students will relate the contributions of these people to the promotion of literacy and the exchange of ideas that continue today.
- Students will identify and relate the Renaissance 'movers & shakers' contributions to modern society.
- Students will complete the 'The Renaissance 'Movers & Shakers' name association pre-assessment (see attachments).
- Have a class discussion about the students answers to their 'Renaissance 'Movers & Shakers' name Association pre-assessment.
- Assign research subjects (movers & shakers) to each student.
- Students research their 'Mover & Shaker.' Using 'My Renaissance Mover & Shaker.'
- As part of research, students will gather a visual aid for their presentation.
- Students will design an activity that other students can participate in, that demonstrates one of their mover & shaker's accomplishments.
Example: Michaelangelo painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Students put art paper under their desks and draw as Michaelangelo did.
- Students will share their knowledge about their mover & shaker with the class.
- Students will use the 'Renaissance Area of Focus,' graphic organizer while the other students present.
Example: Da Vinci might be categorized as an Artist, a Scientist, and a Thinker.
- The entire class will discuss students choices of 'Renaissance Area of Focus,' graphic organizers.
- Students will participate in other student directed activities.
Strategies for Diverse Learners
Special Needs: Allow special needs students to work with another student as a team.
- Renaissance Movers & Shakers name Association Pre-assessment
- My Renaissance Mover & Shaker Presentation.
- Renaissance Movers & Shakers Area of Focus Graphic Organizer.