1 class periods of 45 minutes each
This activity is a good team building activity and gives the kinesthetic learner a chance to excel and remember the models of the atomic theory.
- Cards 7 copies of each of the Atomic Theory scientist's names on them. If they are laminated on card stock they can be used many times.
- Laminated or card stock "atomic particles", several protons, neutrons and electrons for each group.
- Student sheet (optional, use if you want to extend the activity to a full period and play a "charades" game)
- Computers (if students need to do research on their scientist)
Student Prior Knowledge
If the students are familiar with the names and models already, they will just need to time to plan their model and review the models of other scientists.
Special teacher procedures, safety notes, and suggestions:
- This may be conducted outside to give the class more room
- The students will need to take with them their information of the models if they do not already know it.
- Give each student group a scientist card. Groups will vary in size according to class size.
- Each group has 5 minutes to create a way to use their bodies to show their scientists idea of the atom looked like. They can cross their arms to show positive if you do not wish to use the "atomic particle " cards, etc.
- Each group in chronological order will show their atom model. To really test the student's knowledge, have them exchange scientists and create another model (kind of a charades game) for the class to identify.
- Completion of student sheet
- Participation points
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.