1 class periods of 60 minutes each
Students will write a short essay describing a hypothetical (but accurate) journey to the center of the Earth.
Student Prior Knowledge
composition, structure, and properties of the layers in the interior of the Earth
- Students will need access to their notes and textbook, plus other information if the textbook does not give specific density, temperature, and pressure data for the different layers of the Earth.
- Students may refer to Jules Verne's Voyage to the Center to the Earth in their essay and make corrections to his "observations" if they chose. That might give them help with the structure of the essay.
- Students should create a map, using a cut-away drawing of the Earth to illustrate their progress in the story.
- Inform the students that they will need to comment on any special equipment that they will require to complete the journey. They do not have to give specific information or describe exactly how it would work.
- They should include a reference page that gives the source of any data that they refer to in the story.
Spelling and grammar.............4
Accurate information on pressure, temperature, and density for each of the four layers .........4
Maps -- accurately scaled, labeled (including the Moho layer).........4
Reference page -- complete and proper formatting...........4
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.