1 class periods of 30 minutes each
Comprehending a bit more about Rhymes as an extension for GT children
- Smart board interactive lesson
- Copies for all your students of slide number 6.
Background for Teachers
This lesson was created as an extension for a gifted and talented kindergarten class.
Student Prior Knowledge
They need to have a general idea of rhymes. This lesson is a review of rhymes with extension work to challenge students.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to recognize rhymes by coloring words that rhyme.
Students will work in groups taking turns by coloring and listening the ideas of their partners.
On slides 3, 4,and 5 practice as a whole class. You may ask that each table meet to find the rhyming words.
Please give each student a copy of slide 6. They will work with a partner by coloring each rhyming set with the same color (Mat and cat with yellow) For example: you will read a verse of the song. then allow students to talk and decide together which are the two words. You can use partner strategies such as mountain and valley or Peanut and jelly. Students mus be respectful to the partner's opinion. You may ask two students to role model for the whole class. If a students makes a mistake, it is great opportunity for you to model how to disagree with an idea.
as an extension students can write their own verse of their song.
- Check for students ability on identifying simple rhymes, such as mat, cat or ram Sam. You may point out that several rhyming words have the same spelling at the end of the word. Explain to them that this is not always the case. At times they have to listen to the sounds of the words.
- show the the smart board page one and two.
- Listen to the song bug bites by Mary Miche. You may find her song in her website http://www.marymiche.com/marysmusic.html
Strategies for Diverse Learners
PLease make sure students have a general understanding about rhymes. There are other ways to use this lesson. You my follow you basal teacher's guide for on grade level instruction and use this lesson to challenge some of your students.
Slide number 6 in the Smart board will be printed for each student. You may collect the copies of the colored papers to determine who is able to understand the idea of rhymes.
Based on the song Bug Bites by Mary Miche from the album Earthy Tunes: Nature songs for Kids. Song Trek EQ NORMAL, Berkeley 1987