1 class periods of 45 minutes each
Students will use a simulation to build their own solar system. In the process they will discover the relationship between gravity and motion that keeps a planet in orbit.
- Computer lab or computer and projector (if demonstrated)
- student sheet (attached)
- Preview the website:
My Solar System.
- Decide how students will be grouped (no more than 3 to a computer is best.
- Read introduction and directions with students.
- Do an example with a projector. There are "Pre-sets" that are fun to watch and will need explanations for the students to understand.
- Allow students time to work.
- Have students show their work to summarize the activity. Make sure there are examples of how mass and velocity affect the orbits.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.