1 class periods of 45 minutes each
Students will use the starting mass of a piece of chalk to find out how much chalk it takes to write their names
- chalk (or other measureable writing instrument)
- electronic balance
- student sheet (attached)
- Gather the materials and upload the short YouTube video at: Life of Pi Chalk Art
- "Hook" the students with the video clip and read the introduction. Ask students to predict the amount of chalk needed for their name.
- Allow time for students to make measurements and do the calculations.
- Compare class results to see how much chalk might be needed for the sidewalk art.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.