1 class periods of 70 minutes each
Students will create a graphic organizer on an element of their choice that summarizes the chemical and physical changes that occur when the atom bonds with four (or less) other substances.
- graphic organizer (attached)
- Chemistry textbook
- computers with Internet access
- Butcher paper may be provided if you want displays of the organizer
Background for Teachers
50-90 minutes depending on the number of compounds researched.
- Have students work in groups of two or alone to choose an element to research.
- Students should find chemical and physical properties of the element to place in the center box.
- The formula and name of compounds formed from the element should be placed in the next layer of boxes.
- The outside layers of boxes should describe the chemical and physical properties of the compounds.
- Students may use a computer program such as "Inspiration" to make the organizer or they may expand them on to butcher paper.
- Have students share their organizers with class and draw conclusions as a class about the properties of compounds when compared to the elements from with they form.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.