1 class periods of 60 minutes each
Students will use legos or other models of atoms to create molecules.
- student sheet (attached)
- Even numbers of red and blue legos or other snap together pieces or sticky tabs. Each group should have different amounts of blue and red but the blue and red should be the same in teach bag.
- Prepare bags of the "atom" models. Place different ratios of red to blue in each bag.
- Tell students that they are going to make water. If you have access to hydrogen gas and wish to show students the real thing, burn some in a balloon or test tube. The test tube shows visible water on the sides of the tube after it burns.
- Show student the bags they will using and ask if it makes any difference how much hydrogen they start with to the formula or amount of the water they make.
- Allow them to make predictions and then begin with the activitiy.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.