Interior Design 2
Strand 4 Standard 4
1 class periods of 90 minutes each
Learn about different types of window coverings and complete a window covering assignment.
1. Window treatments power point presentation.
2. Window treatments lecture notes.
3. Window measurements worksheet
Be familiar with the window treatments lecture information and power point presentation.
Students will create 2 window treatments for a window opening.
1. Discuss with the students that a window treatment is not considered the focal point of a room. However, the wall space or furniture surrounding the window may be considered a focal point. It is important to use appropriate treatments made of suitable materials to maximize the utility of the window. A window treatment should add to the beauty of the room in both color and style. Other considerations when making a selection are privacy, light control, durability of materials, and the ability of the material to conserve energy and block noise. Window treatments can be crated to enhance or obscure an outside view.
2. Begin discussing different types of window treatments by showing the presentation on Window Treatments. I have the students draw sketches of each treatment in their notebooks so they can use them on their upcoming assignment.
3. After the presentation, explain the assignment to the students. Pass out the Window Measurement assignment and discuss. They will go measure a window in the school (our office has great windows for this!). When the measurements are taken return to the classroom, and on two separate pieces of paper students will sketch 2 different types of window treatments for the window they measured. Then they should list the advantages of each type of treatment. I also have my students color them in with colored pencils. It's good to have students share with the class at the end of this assignment.
USOE Interior Design Curriculum