UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
Science - Earth Science
Standard 2 Objective 2
1 class periods of 45 minutes each
This lesson discusses the different landforms that are found in the State of Utah. The characteristics of each are also discussed for a full understanding of each landform.
Know all the different landforms that are in Utah and find plenty of pictures. Know the characteristics and how they were formed to inform the stduents of each.
Introduce the landforms to them and do a little discussion prior to lesson.
1. Give students a blank map of Utah and have them start brainstorming were the landforms exist. Allow them to draw where they think certain landforms are and color it.
2. Discuss the maps and the landforms they thought were in Utah. Add additional landforms that any of them missed. This warm-up gets them ready for the lesson.
3. Show the video of the actual pictures of landforms in Utah. Allow for discussion of how the stduents think these landforms were formed and why there are so many mountains in Utah.
4. After the movie clip, allow students to go to the activity link and explore the game. Remind them to be aware of all of the landforms and their characteristics for the game.
5. The landforms in Utah are of such great importance to the State and the students should appreciate their state and what it is made of. Encourage students to keep the world beautiful to enhance are surroundings. (Good lead into a lesson on recycling and conserving energy in the environment.)
1. Teach students to love their environment.
2. Students should enjoy their surroundings and want to take care of their earth. 3. Lead into lesson on recycling and conserving energy in the environment.
4. Explore other landforms in other areas like volcanoes in Hawaii.