Each student will create a book about themselves using the book template.
- A Book About Me (pdf), assembled
- Color copied picture of
- Crayons (to measure
with as well as color
- Hop, Skip, Jump, by Nicola Tuxsworth; ISBN 075480383X
- My Two Hands/My Two Feet, by Rick Walton; ISBN 0399233385
- It's Okay to Be Different, by Todd Parr; ISBN 0316666033
- Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, by Al Perkins; ISBN 0001712012
Background for Teachers
The body consists of arms, hands, fingers, feet, etc.
Demonstrate how to measure with a crayon.
Intended Learning Outcomes
4. Develop physical skills and personal hygiene.
Invitation to Learn
Place books on the tables with crayons.
- Discuss different parts of the body.
- Discuss length and how to measure body parts.
- Demonstrate how to make the book.
- Each student will make their own book, A Book About Me!
- Place books in a bookshelf for everyone to read.
- Provide reading time later for students to read each others’
- Graph length of different body parts.
- Graph the height of the students.
- Make a 3D Tin Foil Man.
- Take a piece of tin foil and make four tears.
- Squish the tin foil into two arms, two legs, and a head.
- Place a piece of pipe cleaner in one of the arms or legs.
- Secure in a block or piece of Styrofoam.
- Position your tin man into an action.
- Write a sentence about what your tin man is doing.
- Measure a family member at home.
- Make another tin foil man at home.
- Does the student use the ruler the right way?
- Is the student able to identify the various body parts?