3 class periods of 45 minutes each
Thinking & Reasoning
Students will use the internet, text books, and other resources to identify historic American Indian, State of Deseret, Utah Territory, and current Utah state governments and compare and contrast.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Analyze the different ways people have organized governments in Utah.
- Identify the forms of government found in Utah in different eras.
- Divide the class into four groups: Historic American Indian, State of Deseret, Utah Territory, and current Utah State Government.
- Using websites provided each group will find the information for their assigned row on the Governments of Utah Past and Present chart. (see attachments)
- Expert jigsaw groups share their information with their group. The students in each group will fill in each row on their charts as information is shared.
- Write limericks or create a picture dictionary for each form of government based on information on the chart.
Culminating Class Project Ideas: Newspaper Advertisement, Picture Definition Page, Brochure using the ReadWriteThink Printing Press.
Look at limericks for connections to history and governments of Utah.