In this lesson students will understand the potential adverse health risks associated with the consumption of energy drinks.
Energy Drinks PowerPoint presentation (from the Utah County Division of Substance Abuse Prevention)
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Understand the importance of community
education around energy drinks.
- Describe and discuss potential adverse
health risks associated with consumption of
- Understand and identify particular ingredients
and stimulants of energy drinks.
- Identify marketing, placement and labeling
strategies of alcohol companies within the
Setting the Focus (getting the lesson started)
Show the first slide and mention to the class that this lesson will focus on making
Strategies and Activities
Display the PowerPoint presentation and use the notes to direct the discussion.
Evaluation and Checking for Understanding
- As a class, generate a list of healthy alternatives to energy drinks?
- Suggest students do library or Internet research to answer the questions that
arise from this discussion. Make those discoveries available to the class.
- Use questions from the media literacy lesson to deconstruct energy drink
advertising and media.
- Use the brain lesson to understand and compare the highs and excessive
crashes of excessive caffeine use.