This lesson is designed to help students understand the dangers of pornography. Caution will also be given about Internet predators and pedophiles and the cycle of addiction and consequences.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Students will learn the dangers of
- Students will learn how predators /
pedophiles access personal information to
find their victims.
- Students will take a pre and post test to
access their knowledge.
- Students will learn how to "crash and tell"
when they come across pornography on
- Students will learn about the cycle of
addiction and consequences.
Readiness and Setting the Focus (getting the lesson started):
Pre test(access students knowledge and understanding)
Strategies and activities
Show the PowerPoint presentation --Use the questions/statistics/video in the power-point
for discussion items.
Evaluation and checking for understanding:
- What was learned about pornography?
- What was learned about predators/pedophiles?
- What was learned about computer safety?
- What was learned about social networking sites and personal information?
- Post test and discussion
- American Decency Association
This organization is dedicated to education on matters of decency; and the
advancement of public morality.
- American Family Association
This site offers a wealth of information on issues surrounding decency. You can also join their email list to make your voice heard regarding those issues.
- Citizens for Community Values
Good source for information on national decency issues.
- Family Research Council
Family Research Council (FRC) was founded in 1983 as an organization
dedicated to the promotion of marriage and family and the sanctity of human life
in national policy.
- Family Watchdog
Family Watchdog allows you to see where registered sexual offenders live and work around you.
- Internet Filter Software Review
This is a filter review site for the top ten internet filters.
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children's® (NCMEC) mission is to help prevent child abduction and sexual exploitation; help find missing children; and assist victims of child abduction and sexual exploitation, their families, and the professionals who serve them.
- National Mental Health Information
Information to help citizens combat obscenity in the media.
- Net Nanny
Internet filtering site.
- NetSmartz Workshop
Net Smartz is a web site for parents, kids, teens, educators, and law
enforcement. Age appropriate activities are available as well as many other
- One Million Moms
One million moms is an online community of mothers aimed at stopping the
exploitation of our children. We contact you, via e-mail, with information about
a particular target (TV network, sponsor, or station), giving you a link to a "take
action" page on the website. Following instructions on the page, you e-mail the
responsible party voicing your concern.
- Parents Television Council
A site "offering private sector solutions to restore
television to its roots as an independent and socially responsible entertainment
medium". This group motivates the public to "voice its support of family-friendly
programming to network executives, advertisers, public policy leaders."
- S-Anon International Family Groups
The S-Anon Family Groups are a fellowship of the relatives and friends of sexually addicted people who share their experience, strength and hope in order to solve their common problems.
- Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous
Treatment program for people with sex related issues.
- Utah Coalition against Pornography
This is a coalition of diverse religious,
social, and cultural groups offering leadership, education, and resources to
organizations seeking to combat the harmful effects of sexually explicit material
on individuals, children and families.
Resources and opportunities for continued development and
- A Brain Gone Wrong - Hope for the Troubled Teen by W. Dean Belnap
- Clean Hands, Pure Heart: Overcoming Addiction to Pornography Through the Redeeming Power of Jesus Christ by Philip A. Harrison
- Confronting Pornography: A Guide to Prevention and Recovery for Individuals, Loved Ones, and Leadersby Mark D. Chamberlain
- The Drug of the New Millennium--The Brain Science Behind Internet
Pornography Use by Mark B. Kastleman
- What's the Big Deal About Pornography? A Guide for the Internet Generation by Jill C. Manning