1 class periods of 70 minutes each
Students will explore MyPlate. There is a PowerPoint and a note guide to accompany this lesson. A mini-lab recipe, (a lab that will only take half a class period), will be provided to help teach the concepts of the lesson.
MyPlate Lesson PlanMyPlate PowerPointMyPlate Note GuideMyPlate Note Guide KEYCrayonsRecipe: Chicken and Ramen Stir Fry
Background for Teachers
Become familiar with MyPlate. Review the PowerPoint and the teacher notes for each slide of the PowerPoint.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will demonstrate knowledge of MyPlate.
- Introduction: (5 Minutes)
- Explain to students the outline for the day. Ask them if they have any questions.
- MyPlate: (20 Minutes)
- Show the PowerPoint on MyPlate. Introduce MyPlate to students. Discuss its benefits and explain how following its guidelines can lead to a lifetime of health.
- Mini Lab- Chicken and Ramon Stir Fry: (40 Minutes)
- Turn the rest of class time over to students to work in the lab. Give lab directions and get them to work. Walk around to answer questions and keep an eye on lab behavior. Check the students clean up of lab and make sure everything has been properly completed.
- Conclusion: (5 Minutes)
- Make sure students have cleaned up their personal work spaces. Check the kitchens for cleanliness.