1 class periods of 45 minutes each
- Thinking & Reasoning
Students will copy and demonstrate 3styles of responding to a question, the five Refusal Skills, and 5 reasons to use them.
- Projector or White Board
- Prevention Dimensions binder 7-8
- Student Journal or blank piece of paper for each student
- Writing utensils
Background for Teachers
3 styles of responding to a question
5 refusal skills
5 reasons for using refusal skills
Student Prior Knowledge
The students should know from the previous unit, the 5 Decision Making steps:
Know what's important to you.
Consider the alternatives.
Consider the Consequences
Make your Decision and Act
If there is a problem, go back to step one.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Copy the 3 Styles of Responding to a question.
Copy the 5 Refusal Skills and their key phrases.
Copy the 5 reasons for using Refusal Skills.
Demonstrate each Refusal Skill and it's key phrases in a role play.
- The students will copy the mapping picture of the skills, styles, and reasons on their paper as the Teacher writes them on the ipad using Educreations.
- Start with demonstrating in a roleplay, with a student, each response style, as you write them on the ipad.
- Write and discuss each Refusal Skill and it's key phrase on the ipad, through the projector,as the students copy it in their notes..
- Ask Questions ("Who,what, when, where, why, how?")
- Name the trouble ("That's stealing, smoking, illegal, vandalism, etc..")
- Identify the consequences ("If I do that....")
- Suggest Alternatives ("Instead why don't we...")
- Sell it, move it, leave the door open. ("If you change your mind, I'll be.."
- Write and discuss each reason for using Refusal Skills, on the ipad as the students copy it in their notes.
- To be safe
- To have fun
- To Keep Friends
- To stay out of trouble
- To not feel guilty.
- Roleplay the skills with one student, using the key phrases.
- Have two students roleplay the refusal skills, using the key phrases.
- Orally review the steps with the class. (Leave words out and have them fill in the blanks.)
Strategies for Diverse Learners
- Give a finished hard copy for students who have difficulty keeping up or seeing. In some cases,allow them to keep it.
- Record lesson on ipad for review on the website.
Create a comic strip of someone being asked to do something they are not comfortable with.
- No Stick People
- Must use the 5 refusal skills and their key phrases.
- Must be colored.
At the end of the day, students will roleplay. At the end of the unit there will be a written test where they are to use the Refusal Skills in a risky situation.
- Educreations app
- Prevention Dimensions