1 class periods of 70 minutes each
This activity gives students practice using vocabulary words by creating matching definitions, finding pictures and providing examples on index cards or the computer for other students to match.
- computers with Internet connections (one per 2-3 students) the computers are optional, this could also be done with paper and pencil
Background for Teachers
This activity can be done at any time. It could be an introductory or summary activity. It could be recreated in any unit for the given words. Note that the new science core contains vocabulary words listed at the end of each standard. These words would be excellent ones to use as well as any other words used in the core. This activity could be a review for CRT tests. Each student group could take the vocabulary from a standard in the core and as students share their work, a review of the entire year's vocabulary could be accomplished.
- Write the vocabulary words on the board. For this standard these words are necessary: atmosphere, atom, crust, density, diffusion, gas, liquid, models, mass, matter, molecule, particle, solid, temperature, heat energy, volume
- Instruct students to create cards with the word with its definition, picture and example or characteristic and raise their hands when finished.
An example of what the students will create is attached. Each will be on a separate card.
- Assign students to groups at the computers if used.
- Explain to students that they will be creating cards for the words in the unit.
- Students will need to use a word processing program on the computer and use "text boxes" for the cards or use construction paper, markers and rulers to make the boxes.
- Pictures can be searched for using this web site:
http://www.webplaces.com/search/index.htm Pictures can be inserted into text boxes.
- Give students time to work on the assignment and print off finished word "sets". They should cut out the cards and keep them together.
- Each group should do at least 3 word sets. When they are finished, they should trade them with another group and see if the other group can correctly match the word to it's definition, example and picture.
- The groups should rate each others word sets with the attached rubric.
Use the assessment rubric attached.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.