UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
Early Childhood Education I
Strand 3 Standard 1
1 class periods of 90 minutes each
This lesson teaches the colors used in a preschool room, the setup, the safety procedures, as well as the immunizations required for a preschool. Students engage in small activities such as class discusion,note taking and visiting a childcare lab.
After this unit on Health and Safety, students will define the rules of safety and immunizations, and will experience and apply their new knowledge for future interactions with children.
1. Intro to topic: Have them answer the first question to their paper: Have the students think about their homes. Ask which room is their favorite. Ask what it is about that room that makes it their favorite.
2. Color: What colors do to us. Have students color all of the squares on their paper with the correct colors. Have them circle their favorite color. Then go through and tell them how each color affects us.
3. Take the students to the Preschool Room (if there is no room you can just do it in the classroom)
4. Safety Guidelines: Rules that children should follow to be safe (see answer key)
5. Room Safety: Have the room set up before class with different safety hazards out and around that they can identify.
6. Room Setup: Have them look around the room and figure out how the preschool room is set up. Let them use the maps in section 5 of their packet to guide them as to which activities go in each area. (this is if there is an actual preschool in the school. If not, think of some alternative way of presenting the room set up)
7. Discussion: Have them tell about what they discovered. Then use an overhead to explain what should actually go in each area (see answer key) Also discuss different play areas, such as: art, block building, dramatic play, library, science, small manipulative area, music
8. Immunizations: Put an overhead up on the board and have them fill in their charts. See if they can guess them first. See the lecture material for Immunizations, as well as the website for additional information.
This plan includes a variety of activities, and should allow students with diverse needs to participate.
Students will be quized orally the last 10 minutes of class about the things we discussed during class.
see websites attached