Interior Design 3
Strand 4 Standard 4
1 class periods of 90 minutes each
Thinking & Reasoning
Learn about the American Federal style in Interior Design and complete an assignment on the American Federal period.
1. American Federal power point presentation.
2. American Federal outline.
Be familiar with the power point presentation on the American Federal culture.
I cover the entire section of Architecture Furniture and History. I break it up into each time period. Each class period consists of approximately 2 of these time periods, such as Greek and Roman in one 90-minute period. I have several lesson plans on architecture and furniture history; I usually try to get through at least 2 time periods each class session. Each lesson consists of a power point presentation with graphics, an outline for the students to fill out, and a project where they have to sketch an object from the time, and then get a picture of a piece of current furniture influenced by some of the details of that time period.
Students will find American Federal influences in modern day furniture and architecture.
1. Hand out the American Federal outline to the students.
2. As you review the information from the power point presentation, have students write down the information on their outline from the presentation. (I try to do a lot of study before I begin the lecture, so I add other information about what I have researched to this lecture.)
3. When the lecture is completed, I have the students start on the sketching assignment. Students will sketch a chair from the Federal time period. (They must not copy, but do their best to sketch!) To do this, they will also look in magazines to find pictures of a piece of furniture or an architectural detail that might have been influenced by the time period. For example, students could find a picture of the White House. For their description of the picture, they could say that this house was influenced by the American Federal time period because its square in shape with building wings on either side. Then they will need to be able to recognize a picture of an American Federal building, for a test. My students are expected to turn this assignment in for grading, then they create a portfolio out of all the history we have talked about in class.
See attached rubric for American Federal.
USOE Interior Design curriculum