Advanced Interior Design
Strand 4 Standard 4
1 class periods of 90 minutes each
Thinking & Reasoning
Learn about the Spanish Renaissance and complete a Spanish Renaissance assignment.
1. Spanish Renaissance power point presentation.
2. Spanish Renaissance outline.
Students will find Spanish influences in modern day furniture and architecture.
1. Hand out the Spanish outline to the students.
2. As you review the information from the power point presentation, have students write down the information on their outline from the presentation. (I try to do a lot of study before I begin the lecture, so I add other information about what I have researched to this lecture.)
3. When lecture is completed, I have the students start on the sketching assignment. Students will sketch a chair from the Spanish Renaissance. (They must not copy, but do their best to sketch!) To this, they will also look in magazines to find a pictures of a piece of furniture or architectural detail that might have been influenced by the time period. For example, students could find a picture of a large, dark wood, slat back chair. For their description of the picture, they could say that this chair was influenced by the Spanish Renaissance because of it's use of dark wood, turned legs, slat back, and upholstery with tacks. Then they will need to be able to recognize a picture of a Horseshoe arch for a test. My students are expected to turn this assignment in for grading, then they create a portfolio out of all of the history we have talked about in class.
See attached rubric for Spanish Renaissance.
USOE Interior Design curriculum