UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
Fashion Design Studio
Strand 1 Standard 2
1 class periods of 45 minutes each
In this lesson students will learn to recognize the difference between a fad and a classic by viewing a PowerPoint presentation and then brainstorming examples.
After viewing the PowerPoint presentation on fads and classics, the students will discuss the ideas presented.
1. 5 min.- Have a discussion about some of the clothes that the students have worn that are now out of style. Ask the students to write the names of those clothes (glitter jeans, shirts and accessories with the first name initial on them, etc.) on the board.
2. After the list has been written, give an approximate time frame that the item of clothing was in style (i.e. glitter jeans-1 year) Identify these items as fads. 5 min.
3. Then brainstorm classics. What are examples of clothes that never go out of fashion? What is the difference between the two?
4. Pass out the worksheet. View the PowerPoint presentation (15-20 min.).
5. Have the students get into groups.
6. Give the groups about 5 minutes to list all the fads and classics they can think of. Have each group read off their list. If another group already has one of their items on a list, that item needs to be crossed off. The group with the most items not crossed off wins!