Capitol Reef National Park
General Info & Web sites
Capitol Reef National Park is known for its Waterpocket Fold. The Fold is a 100-mile stretch of buckled earth characterized by red cliffs, unique spires, and large domes. Despite its unique beauty, Capitol Reef is the least visited of Utah's five national parks.
Maps / Mileage Chart
- Utah Collections
A collection of pictures, videos and documents related to the park.
Capitol Reef National Park, Utah Photo Gallery - Beautiful photos, pictures, images
US National Park Service photo gallery of Capitol Reef.
Photos of Capitol Reef National Park.
Sights to See
- The Behunin Cabin - On scenic Highway 24 on the south side of the road is the Behunin Cabin. In 1882 Elijah Cutler Behunin and his family built the cabin and stayed a brief time until the rising river washed out their crops.
- Capitol Dome - The white dome of Navajo sandstone resembles the U.S. Capitol building in Washington DC.
- Capitol Gorge - a narrow steep-walled canyon that extends for several miles southwards, and a pleasant foot trail runs along its base and passes some ancient Indian petroglyphs.
- Cathedral Valley - an area of monolithic formations of Entrada and Curtis sandstones, some of which are 500 feet high.
- Chimney Rock - an impressive pinnacle of Moenkopi Shale that rises from the desert.
- The Fruita Schoolhouse - a restored and refurbished historic structure located on Utah Highway 24, .8 miles east of the visitor center.
- The Golden Throne - a dome covered in a gold-colored Navajo Sandstone, which is particularly special because normally the sandstone is creamy white.
- The Goosenecks - the snakelike switchbacks of Sulphur Creek carved into the rock as the Waterpocket Fold slowly lifted
- Hickman Bridge - A large natural stone bridge that spans 133 feet and has an opening of 125 feet high. It takes a short hike to get to, with ancient "Rock Art" and ruins along the way.
- The Historic Gifford Homestead - 1 mile south on the Scenic Drive, is typical of rural Utah farm-houses of the early 1900s and is open during the summer season.
- Scenic Drive - a 20-mile round-trip drive that will take you past the Ripple Rock Nature Center and many of the park's features.
- Waterpocket Fold - the main feature of the park, is a 100-mile-long fold in the earth's surface.
- Capitol Reef Country
Mountain Biking In Capitol Reef Country.
Complete mountain biking information for Capitol Reef National Park, Utah with maps, photos, trail descriptions, biking guides and outfitters, and more.
National Park Service information about biking in the park.
- Trails.Com: Mountain Biking
Capitol Reef National Park Area Mountain Biking -
Search for Trails by Map.
Capitol Reef National Park; where to ride in the Capitol Reef area.
RV Park and Campground Information for Capitol Reef National Park, Utah.
US National Park Service information
about camping in Capitol Reef.
Camping options and reservations for camping in Capitol Reef National Park
Campgrounds and camping fees in Capitol Reef National Park.
US National Park Service information
about climbing in Capitol Reef.
Find climbing areas and routes in Capitol Reef National Park and discover photos, user reviews, and detailed route info like climbing type and grade.
National Parks Travel Guide about Capitol Reef National Park including Climbing.
Rock climbing in Capitol Reef National Park, including routes, reglations and closures.
Horseback riding is offered in the Capitol Reef National Park area.
Private Horse & Mule Riding at Capitol Reef
National Parks Travel Guide about Capitol Reef National Park including Horseback Riding.
Horseback trail rides in and around Capitol Reef National Park.
Complete scenic drive information for Capitol Reef National Park, Utah with maps, photos, route descriptions and more.
Capitol Reef National Park - Road Tours
A road called the Scenic Drive winds through the heart of Capitol Reef National Park, allowing visitors to see many of the park's famous formation.
- Visit Utah
Nonstop Knockout Scenery: Seeing the best of the Capitol Reef National Park area by car.